In this episode, Dr Nirala Jacobi speaks with Heidi Turner on the topic of Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. Heidi is a medical nutrition therapist at the Seattle Arthritis Clinic at Northwest Hospital UW Medicine in Seattle, Washington. She specialises in food intolerances, SIBO, and other digestive disorders, addressing the digestion in order to balance all body systems.
– Using diet to decrease inflammation in the body and improve pain markers for autoimmune patients.
– Mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS) and the diverse array of signs and symptoms with which it can present.
– SIBO and how it relates to mast cells disorder and MCAS.
– What mast cells are and what responses they create within the immune system.
– Predisposing factors for MCAS
– The physiological relationship of stressors, and/or emotional trauma to the development of MCAS and other conditions in the body.
– Histamine and its diverse roles in the body.
– Intolerance symptoms.
– How intolerance can develop.
– High histamine foods.
– How to best assess patients for histamine intolerance.
– Antihistamine supplements.
– Diamine Oxidase (DAO) and SIBO related histamine dysregulation.
– How to navigate probiotic treatment for highly digestively sensitive patients.
– Various treatment options for stabilising mast cells, and MCAS specific support.
Dr T C Theoharides www.mastcellmaster.com
Mast cell cytosis society www.tmsforacure.org
Heidi Turner www.foodlogic.org www.eliminationdietrd.com