FREE Instant Download
The Optimal SIBO Bi-Phasic Diet
by Dr Nirala Jacobi ND, Medical Director, SIBOTest and host of The SIBO Doctor
Download our free 3 month SIBO treatment protocol to help restore the function of the small intestine
Join the tribe of thousands of people following the SIBO Bi-Phasic Diet today, for FREE!
The SIBO Bi-Phasic Diet e-book describes a protocol of diet, combined with specific gut healing and antimicrobial phases, created by Dr. Nirala Jacobi BHSc ND, Director of SIBOTest.
The SIBO Bi-Phasic Diet is based on Dr. Allison Siebecker’s SIBO Specific Food Guide (found at www.siboinfo.com), a therapeutic diet combining the low FODMAP (fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides, and polyols), and Specific Carbohydrate Diet.
The goal of the protocol is to help eliminate bacterial overgrowth from the small intestine.
Phased approach to SIBO treatment
The Bi-Phasic Diet Protocol uses a phased approach to diet and treatment which limits the side effects of bacterial and fungal “die-off”.
The die-off process occurs when bacterial and fungal endotoxins released by their elimination are absorbed and cause physical symptoms. Die-off can be intense for some people.
Phasing the treatment through stages also aims to prioritise the repair of disturbed digestion over the use of antimicrobials.
That means you’ll feel better sooner!
Five problems caused by SIBO – small intestine bacterial overgrowth
The SIBO Bi-Phasic diet heals your gut faster, so you can avoid these!
- Damage to the microvilli – the absorptive surface of the small intestine. This can lead to malabsorption of nutrients. Microvilli are also responsible for the digestion of small starch molecules from food. When the microvilli are not working, the bacteria use these small starch molecules to cause fermentation. This bacterial fermentation produces methane and hydrogen gas. Not only is this uncomfortable, but causes further damage to the microvilli.
- Research has now shown that SIBO is a major cause of intestinal permeability, or ‘leaky gut”, a condition where partially digested food particles are absorbed through the lining of the small intestines where they can cause an immune reaction. Leaky gut also causes bacterial by-products to be absorbed – a major trigger for inflammation
- Leaky gut can also cause malabsorption of nutrients from your food which can cause a wide variety of symptoms such as restless legs at night, fatigue, skin rashes, muscle aching as well as a host of digestive symptoms
- The bacteria cause the motility of the small intestine to slow down or work improperly, causing further fermentation. Restoring proper motility in the small intestines is a major focus of eliminating SIBO for good and your practitioner is likely to prescribe a “prokinetic” supplement or medication
- Many people who test positive for SIBO will also have a co-infection with fungal organisms, a condition known as SIFO (small intestine fungal overgrowth) – the SIBO Bi-Phasic diet helps to address this as well
What is it?
PHASE 1: REDUCE AND REPAIR (4-6 weeks)
Reduce – The first phase of the diet focuses on reducing fermentable starches and fibres, which is necessary to starve bacteria of their preferred fuel so they will begin to die-off.
Repair – Repairing the damage to the integrity of the intestinal lining, as well as repairing proper digestion, is a key element of this phase.
PHASE 2: REMOVE AND RESTORE (4-6 weeks)
Remove – remaining overgrown bacteria and fungi from the small intestines: In this phase of the protocol, antimicrobials will be prescribed by your practitioner.
Even though still a low fibre diet, the protocol becomes a bit more lenient to allow for some bacterial growth so that antimicrobials are more successful.
Restore – The restoration of the normal motility of the small intestines is important to prevent relapse of SIBO. In this phase your practitioner may prescribe prokinetic medication
Learn about the SIBO diet in relation to Food Reactions, Fermented Foods, Histamine, Oxalates, and Salicylates.
Get started immediately – your download will be sent to you automatically.