In this episode, Dr Nirala Jacobi (ND, USA) discusses SIBO breath testing.
Dr Jacobi’s experience ranges from professional practitioner education, product development, naturopathic mentorship, and serving on the board of directors for the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP), to running her own private clinical practice for over 20 years.
Dr Jacobi is the founder and medical director of SIBOTest, and is a highly sought after specialist for the treatment of functional digestive disorders.
Stay tuned at the end of this episode for a conference update with Dr Audra Mehan, conference director CME for the Integrative SIBO Conference in Lombard Illinois. Dr Jacobi is one of the many high calibre featured speakers for this event, set to be held on March 25th and 26th 2017.
Topics discussed in this episode include:
– What is SIBO Breath testing?
– What gasses we are testing for?
– How does a person perform a SIBO breath test at home?
– Preparation protocol, the diet involved, and supplements, herbs, and medication to avoid in the preparation period.
– How to know which test to give to a patient – Lactulose, Glucose, or Fructose.
– Hydrogen sulfide – are there testing options for this gas, what patterns on a SIBO breath test may indicate an overgrowth of bacteria that produce hydrogen sulfide, and what symptoms could indicate hydrogen sulfide dominance?
– What organisms produce hydrogen sulfide, and what do they feed on?
– How can children perform the SIBO breath test?
– What to ask your SIBO testing facility to ensure the highest testing quality.
– What constitutes a positive SIBO test result, and what constitutes a borderline SIBO test result?
– How to read and interpret a SIBO breath test result.
– Diarrhoea and constipation during SIBO breath testing and how this can affect test interpretation.
– High methane on baseline compared to methane that rises, and what this means.
– The relationship of hydrogen to methane, and how hydrogen producing bacteria can cause a rise in methane gas production.
– Reference ranges for SIBO gases.
– How to know when to retest, and whether to retest.
– The SIBO treatment algorithm.
– The methane spot test, and when it is indicated.
– Questions from listeners
– Visceral manipulation therapy – what it is, and how it may complement SIBO treatment.
– Is there a role for fecal microbial transplant into the small intestine for the resolution of SIBO?
- Dr Audra Mehan, conference director CME, discusses the phenomenal speaker line-up for the Integrative SIBO Conference 2017, set to be held in Lombard Illinois on March 25th and 26th 2017.
- SIBOtest breath testing video – how to collect breath samples correctly.
- Test comparison chart – some ideas for what to ask your facility to ensure testing is of highest quality.
- Order a SIBO breath test
- SIBO test Practitioner Resource Portal
- Alyssa Tait – visceral manipulation therapist, Brisbane.
- The Barral Institute
- Cedar Sinai – Dr Mark Pimental
- Contact Carly with any practitioner questions you’d like to see answered on the show.
- Attend the Integrative SIBO Conference – either in person or via webinar.
Dr Jacobi is considered one of Australia’s leading experts in the natural treatment of small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), a common cause of IBS. She is a national and international speaker on this topic and her annual SIBO Webinars and SIBO Master Classes are popular and well-attended.
She frequently lectures on her Bi-Phasic SIBO diet and herbal approaches for the treatment of SIBO. Dr Jacobi is the medical director of SIBOTest, an online testing service and educational portal for practitioners. She also has a busy practice in northern New South Wales and offers mentorship sessions for practitioners[/text_block]