In this episode, Dr Nirala Jacobi speaks with Heidi Turner on the topic of Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. Heidi is a medical nutrition therapist at the Seattle Arthritis Clinic at Northwest Hospital UW Medicine in Seattle, Washington. She specialises in food intolerances, SIBO, and other digestive disorders, addressing the digestion in order to balance all body systems.
– Using diet to decrease inflammation in the body and improve pain markers for autoimmune patients.
– Mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS) and the diverse array of signs and symptoms with which it can present.
– SIBO and how it relates to mast cells disorder and MCAS.
– What mast cells are and what responses they create within the immune system.
– Predisposing factors for MCAS
– The physiological relationship of stressors, and/or emotional trauma to the development of MCAS and other conditions in the body.
– Histamine and its diverse roles in the body.
– Intolerance symptoms.
– How intolerance can develop.
– High histamine foods.
– How to best assess patients for histamine intolerance.
– Antihistamine supplements.
– Diamine Oxidase (DAO) and SIBO related histamine dysregulation.
– How to navigate probiotic treatment for highly digestively sensitive patients.
– Various treatment options for stabilising mast cells, and MCAS specific support.
Dr T C Theoharides www.mastcellmaster.com
Mast cell cytosis society www.tmsforacure.org
Dr. Nirala Jacobi, BHSc, ND (USA) graduated from Bastyr University in 1998 with a doctorate in naturopathic medicine. She practiced as a primary care physician in Montana for 7 years before arriving in Australia and is still a licensed physician in the USA.
Dr Jacobi is considered one of Australia’s leading experts in the natural treatment of small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), a common cause of IBS. She is a national and international speaker on this topic and her annual SIBO Webinars and SIBO Master Classes are popular and well-attended.
She frequently lectures on her Bi-Phasic SIBO diet and herbal approaches for the treatment of SIBO. Dr Jacobi is the medical director of SIBOTest, an online testing service and educational portal for practitioners. She also has a busy practice in northern New South Wales and offers mentorship sessions for practitioners