In today’s episode, Dr Nirala Jacobi is in conversation with Dr Satish Rao on the topic of D-Lactic Acidosis and SIFO.
Dr Rao is a gastroenterologist with interest in neurogastroenterology and motility. He is one of a rare breed of academicians who has excelled as an outstanding researcher, distinguished educator and as a Master Clinician. Dr Rao’s research interests focus on the pathophysiology and treatment of IBS, food intolerance particularly fructose intolerance, gas and bloating especially SIBO and SIFO, constipation, dyssynergic defecation and faecal incontinence and visceral pain, particularly oesophagal chest pain.
Topics discussed include:
- Brain fogginess, probiotics, and SIBO.
- Dr Satish Rao’s study and the outcomes.
- The difference between D-Lactic acid and L-Lactic acid.
- Altered mental states and the reasons behind them.
- Strain specificity.
- What are the risk factors for D-Lactic Acidosis?
- A refresher on The Small Bowel and how the function can be interrupted.
- Lactobacillus Plantarum 299V - what is it used for?
- Ammonia - where is it produced and what is its effect on the body?
- D-Lactic Acidosis testing.
- Connect with Dr Rao
- New Orleans Integrative SIBO Conference
- Dr Rob Knight
- Probiotic Researcher
- Knight Lab
- VSL #3 probiotic
- Lactobacillus Plantarum 299V
Dr Satish Rao’s Full Biography
Satish S.C. Rao, M.D., Ph.D., FRCP (LON), FACG, AGAF
Professor of Medicine
Director, Neurogastroenterology & Motility
Director, Digestive Health Clinical Research Center, Medical College of Georgia,
Augusta University, Augusta, GA, USA